Recipe & image courtesy of The Stock Merchant.
Serves 4 people
• 4 free range chicken breasts
• 8 slices of prosciuttto
• 150g of blue cheese
• 1 handful of spinach, chopped
• a good glug of olive oil
• 150g of button mushrooms
• 1 tbs of good quality butter (we love Pepe Saya)
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1 small onion, finely sliced
• 250ml of The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
• 100ml of cream
• a good swing of white wine
• fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Combine the blue cheese and spinach together in a bowl. Slice a pocket into the chicken breast and stuff with the cheese and spinach mixture. Wrap two of the proscuitto slices around each chicken breast.
2. In a large heavy based pan, on high heat, sear the chicken breasts until golden on each side. Transfer to the oven and bake for around ten minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
3. While the chicken is in the baking, make the mushroom sauce. Heat butter in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the mixed mushrooms and fry for two to three minutes. Add the white wine and the stock and bring to the boil. Then, turn down and reduce to thicken for about three minutes. Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve the chicken with the mushroom sauce and a side salad, or some roast potatoes. Sprinkle with basil leaves.