2020 delicious Produce Awards
84 DAY STRAIN – 12 WEEK OLD CHICKENS
RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS*
Joyce’s Gold Heritage Chickens are great for roasting however being 12 weeks old compared to the usual 5 weeks of commercial chickens, they need to be slow cooked on a lower temperature for longer.
150°C and roast for 45 mins per 500g in an oven bag (or foil). Uncover for the last 10-15 minutes to brown the skin.
BRINED ROAST CHICKEN
(farmer recommended cooking method)
1/3 Cup Cooking Salt
6 Sprigs of thyme
8 Sprigs Parsley
3 bay leaves
2 Sprigs Rosemary
2 Lemons quartered
1/4 cup honey
6 garlic cloves crushed
Black peppercorns to taste
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BRINING
1. Pour 1/3 of water into a large pot (large enough for brine and submerged chicken) with all other brine ingredients. Bring to boil an leave for 1 minute, stir to dissolve salt.
2. Remove from heat and pour in remaining water. Cool for 45 minutes and then refrigerate for one and a half hours. DON`T
put chicken in before completely cold (can be a health risk ).
3. Submerge chicken in brine and cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Don’t worry if back of chicken is not submerged but make sure the breast is.
ROASTING BRINED CHICKEN
1. Remove chicken and pat dry, pre heat oven to 220°C (fan forced)
2. Brush with butter all over including underside
3. Sprinkle with pepper and salt and place in heavy based roasting tray.
4. Turn oven down to 180°C then roast for 50 mins to 1 hour (for a 1.5 to 2kg chicken), adjust cooking times slightly for a smaller or larger bird. Check at 45 minutes and brush with more butter.
5. Remove and rest for 10 to 15 minutes under foil.
REGULAR ROAST HERITAGE CHICKEN
1. Heat oven to 150°C and place chicken on a wire rack in a roasting tray.
2. Quarter a lemon into cavity along with some sprigs of rosemary.
3. Brush the chicken with melted butter and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour a cup of water into a roasting tray and place tray and chicken on rack in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes per 500g.
5. Remove bird from oven and turn temp. to 200°C. Brush bird with melted butter and return bird to oven.
6. Remove from oven when bird is golden brown (approx 5-15 mins).
112 DAY STRAIN – 16 WEEK OLD CHICKENS
Perfect in a slow cooker, coq au vin, terrine’s, risotto, casseroles, Asian dishes or for adding amazing chicken flavour to any dish.
The Joyce’s Gold Heritage Chicken is a breed developed in Australia by long time poultry farmers, the Joyce family.
Their pastured, slow growing, heritage breed chooks were developed using traditional heritage breeds specifically suited to true FREE RANGE conditions and Australia’s often extreme climate. They are quite happy in the hot or cold, sleeping on the ground, on perches or even in trees.
The Joyces raise their birds naturally on pasture. They take 12-16 weeks to reach maturity, unlike most meat chickens that can only grow out until 5-6 weeks. The Joyce’s Gold Heritage Chicken develops all parts of their body at the same rate allowing for natural chicken movement and behaviour. With this more natural growing period and true free ranging ability, you get a table bird that tastes like chicken used to taste. Customers often say they have not had birds with this amount of flavour in many years if ever before. Some say they’ve only tasted birds like this in Europe and Asia.
REGULAR CHICKENS… (including free range & organic)
Regular commercial meat chicks become very big in the breast area at an amazing rate and their legs truly struggle to support their own weight. This means even the lucky ones on free range spend most of their time sitting and usually only getting up to eat mash or have a drink.
WHERE ARE THEY FARMED?
The Joyce’s raise their Joyce’s Gold Heritage Chicken on their farm in Richlands, Brisbane. They also supply their chickens to a handful of selected farms in NSW & VIC. All Joyce’s Gold farmers raise their birds naturally on pasture.
The birds are raised in small numbers and are able to use their natural foraging instincts under this system. The birds are not fed any growth promoters or artificial hormones.
The birds are kept safe from predators, nice and warm in brooders until around 4 weeks and then placed outside to enjoy the outdoor conditions where they dust bath, eat insects and are allowed to be chickens. The Joyce’s Gold Heritage birds are then raised this way until 12-18 weeks to develop real chicken flavour.