Lao Style Lamb Shank with Sticky Rice Soup
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- ½ cup Jasmine rice
- 200 g pumpkin, cut into 2cm triangles
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 cups shredded silverbeet
- To serve:
- Long red chilli, sliced thinly on diagonal
- Thai basil leaves
- Lime wedges
1.Preheat a large cast iron casserole or wide saucepan over high heat. Place shanks on a plate, drizzle with oil and season generously with black pepper. Brown lamb shanks on all sides.
- 1. Shred lamb while still warm with two forks.
- 2. Cook lamb shanks the day before, then finish the soup the next day. The flavour of the soup will only improve overnight.
- 3. Swap glutinous rice for brown rice, freekeh or pearl barley. Add in for the final 40 minutes of the lamb cooking time