Winter is short here in Brisbane, so make the most of the (slightly) cooler days. Turn on the oven, warm up the house and enjoy the delicious aroma coming from your slow roasted lamb shoulder (Eggcettera salt bush fed lamb, of course)!
SLOW ROASTED LAMB SHOULDER, DUCK FAT POTATOES & SALSA VERDE
LAMB SHOULDER (Eggcettera Farm, salt bush fed lamb)
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Season a 2kg bone in lamb shoulder (Eggcettera Farm salt bush fed) all over with 1 pack of Herbies Lamb Roast Rub, olive oil & cracked pepper.
3. Place lamb on a wire rack in large baking dish. Add water to the baking dish until it is just under the wire rack.
4. Place a sheet of baking paper over the top of the dish, then cover tightly with foil. Place in oven & roast for 3 hours.
5. Remove foil & baking paper & increase the temperature to 180C & roast for a further 30 min or until meat or until the meat starts to pull easily with a fork.
6. Remove lamb from oven, cover & rest for 30 mins before shredding into large chunks.
7. Increase oven temperature to 200C (see below for duck fat potatoes).
DUCK FAT POTATOES
1 kg floury potatoes
2 tbsp Luv-a-Duck Duck Fat (available in store or online)
Sea salt, pepper & garlic
1. While the lamb is cooking, peel & cut the potatoes into even sizes & place in a saucepan with plenty of cold salted water. Bring to the boil & simmer for about 3 minutes. (Do not overcook.)
2. Drain the potatoes, removing as much water as possible & place back in saucepan.
3. Add duck fat, salt & pepper to potatoes. With the lid on, shake vigorously to rough up the edges & coat the potatoes with duck fat.
4. Place potatoes & garlic in a tray & roast until golden & crunchy.
1 cup flat leaf parsley
1 cup basil leaves
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tsp capers, drained
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
1. Place parsley, basil, garlic & capers in a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
2. With the motor running, add the olive oil & 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Process until well combined. Season with salt & pepper. Stand for 10 minutes, then serve with lamb.
Serve with steamed green beans & a dollop of Spoonfed Foods Lamb Jam.