Billy’s Chorizo & Manchego Lasagne
An Italian classic with a Spanish twist
Recipe and image by @GlennScottCreativeCulinary
1kg (approx. 8) Billy’s Chorizo sausages (remove casing & use sausage meat only) (from Meat at Billy’s)
250g lasagne sheets
150g Manchego cheese, finely grated
100g Jamón Serrano ham (from Meat at Billy’s)
330g Sicilian Cherry Tomato sauce with olives & capers (from Meat at Billy’s)
400g tin artichoke hearts, sliced
400g tin diced tomatoes
100g black Spanish olives, sliced
1 medium brown onion , finely diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
3½ tbsp Sherry vinegar
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1½ tbsp dried oregano
50g Pepe Saya unsalted butter (from Meat at Billy’s)
¼ cup plain flour
2½ cups 4Real milk (from Meat at Billy’s)
Baby spinach leaves
Baby rocket leaves
Cherry tomatoes, quartered
Fresh pear, sliced
Blood orange segments
Kris Lloyd Chévre goats cheese (from Meat at Billy’s)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Next add the EVOO to a large frying pan over med-high heat & add the onion & garlic. Cook until translucent. Add the Chorizo meat and cook, breaking it up (no lumps & a consistent size). Add the tomatoes & Sicilian sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar, olives & artichokes. Stir to combine & simmer on a low heat while you make the béchamel sauce.
- Béchamel sauce: In a medium pot over med-high heat add the butter. Once melted, add the flour and whisk to combine for 2-3 minutes (careful not to burn!) Slowly add the milk, whisking in as you go. Once combined keep whisking until it comes up to the boil & starts to thicken. Add 1 ½ tbsp Sherry vinegar, ½ tsp oregano and ½ cup finely grated Manchego cheese. Season with salt & pepper. Once combined and thickened, set aside.
- Grease a lasagne dish with butter, then build the lasagne in order: lasagne sheets, béchamel, chorizo sauce mixture & repeat (3-4 layers depending on your dish). Top with the rest of the grated Manchego & strips of Serrano ham. Place into a pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes till golden. Then remove set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Make your salad whilst the lasagne cooks!
Add some salad to each plate with a dressing of your choice, (such as a citrus vinaigrette) then a serve of the lasagne. Garnish with any fresh herbs or micro herbs.